Monday, November 18, 2013

Fried ham and cheese balls

So after I made Mike breakfast and I still had some leftover pancake batter but wanted something slightly more savory, I boiled some fry oil and went to work on these delicious little creations!
First, roll up some game and American cheese, stab it with a skewer and cut it into a bite size chunk
Then dip it in pancake batter. You could use cornbread batter too, but this is what I had on hand, and all over the kitchen. (I'm a messy cook!)
Test your fry oil to make sure it's not too hot. Just drizzle a bit of batter in there. If it turns golden brown in a quick but not too quick amount of time, drop your ham ball in there, stick attached, turn until completely golden brown. Batter will fluff up quite a bit. Experiment with the consistency. I like a fairly loose batter, but one that holds on without dripping off before I get it into the oil. Each ball should only take about 10 seconds max.
(Excuse the post breakfast dirty stove!)
I also tried making some breakfast sausage balls. Those turned out great too! Just roll sausage into macadamia nut sized balls and cook through before dipping them in pancake batter. They'd be excellent dusted with powdered sugar and served with a side of maple syrup.
Give this quick, easy recipe a try! It's not the healthiest but it sure is a delicious little splurge.
It would be a great brunch dish to serve to a large party!
Enjoy!



No comments:

Post a Comment